FOOL'S GOLD_v0.0 is gone, but FOOL'S GOLD_v1.0 is just gettin' started!

I made a presentation on FOOL'S GOLD_v0.0, the metadata loss and game corruption, where the game was built to, where it would've been built to, future version plans, the Unity course I used to learn, and an overview of the practice games made in that course. 

Feel free to check that out here

----------------------------------------------

After having some more time to process, and discussing the event with friends, I decided to give myself some grace. 😊

If it hadn't been for something out-of-my-control (like knowing in advance the hard lesson learned about Unity's metadata lol), I would've 100% finished the Game Jam on time, with a fully submitted game. And trying to rush to pump out a "Demo/Test" 💩 version of FOOL'S GOLD, just didn't feel good. 

With these two truths in mind, I decided to accept that it was a wiser decision to let this submission date pass, and focus on bringing FOOL'S GOLD back to life! 

After coding at "Game Jam" pace for 5 out of 7 days, especially only to then have my game get corrupted, I was extremely exhausted. 😂 Instead of cramming to create a 💩 version of FG, I spent the weekend relaxing and went on some adventures with friends. It was a much-needed recharge!

The version of FOOL'S GOLD that was lost will, from here on out, be referred to as "FOOL'S GOLD version 0.0". This version was the MVP for FOOL'S GOLD combined with (some) amount of "MVP polishing".

The version of FOOL'S GOLD I am now creating and working on is version 1.0. FOOL'S GOLD_v1.0 will be built in the exact same way (as close as possible of course lol) as FOOL'S GOLD_v0.0 (Game Jam version), had it not become corrupted.

There were 2 days left in the Game Jam when the game became corrupted. I had 1 day left of MVP work, and 1 day to polish that version. I believe that in order to implement all of the "MVP version polish" I would've liked, I would've needed more time. Thus the official "Game Jam Submission" version would've likely only implemented some of the polish I wanted to include in the MVP (polished version) of FOOL'S GOLD.

As there's no way to know which pieces of "MVP polish" would've made the cut, and since the game is having to be rebuilt and thus is unable to be officially submitted for that reason, there's no reason for me to leave off "a polish or two" from the "MVP polish" list. 

Sorry if that was confusing, but I wanted to specify as FOOL'S GOLD_v1.0 will have all of the "MVP polish" that I would've tried to implement ahead of submission. (So about 8 days in "Game Jam" time instead of the actual 7. Giving myself the extra day, since it's a rebuild and can't be officially submitted anyway. 🙃)

Check out my full FOOL'S GOLD_v0.0 version close-out presentation here

I'll be officially starting FOOL'S GOLD_v1.0 tonight or tomorrow, and I'm excited! I'm hoping to get this version completed quickly, so I can move on to building new features into FOOL'S GOLD, in version 2.0, soon! 😄



Comments

  1. Awesome preso, I'm inspired to follow a similar route instead of carving my own way with no guidance.

    Keep the updates coming and good luck in your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thanks for all the engagement and encouragement. It's really helped to keep me going after the loss. 😊

      Just finished getting the assets straightened out, time to start rebuilding the level layout!

      Delete

Post a Comment