Get ready for, FOOL'S GOLD!

My game idea for the "IT IS NOT REAL" theme is...FOOL'S GOLD! 😆

For whatever reason at around 3:30-ish AM, in between all the other extremely different game ideas (lol) that started to enter and swirl around my head post theme reveal, the idea for FOOL'S GOLD randomly popped up!

Compared to my other initial ideas, the idea for Fool's Gold got me very excited instantly. It had that great feeling like creative fire, and the possible game mechanics started to rush into my mind. I wanted to see if I might think of something better, but I soon found I kept coming up with ideas for Fool's Gold instead of different game ideas. That was when I knew I had found my game. 😉

I have had moments of doubt, as I'm sure my other game ideas might have seemed "cooler" to some (although I personally think Fool's Gold will be really fun!), as IT IS NOT REAL could lead to an almost infinite number of game ideas. 

However, I want to be mindful of my main goal to complete the jam. As someone with less than 2 weeks of experience with Unity, who's never made a complete and original game on my own or with a game engine, and a first-time jammer, I have to be realistic. I would much rather make a shorter, fun game, that is fully complete and submitted, than start a too-large, unfinished game project. 

I'm very excited! I've transferred my pen and paper notes (and added more) to a Google Doc and started a Trello Board for the project. I find that taking the time to plan out my projects, as well as organizing my thoughts in a cohesive manner, is absolutely crucial. 

I feel that spending my "coding time" today and tomorrow finishing more Unity training and practice is the wisest choice. It would be much less efficient if I just jump into the project, before learning a bit more about using Unity. I plan to focus on the planning, design, asset-gathering, game submission page, etc. of Fool's Gold during this time.

Comments

  1. It's delightful to join the ride through this blog, I'm curious (not having read the next posts yet) where the road will lead. Exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much!! It's been an incredibly enjoyable yet challenging experience already, and it's very exciting to be able to share it with other game dev enthusiasts.

      Check back Sunday if you can, as I'll (hopefully) be posting where/how anyone can go check out and play FOOL'S GOLD (version 1.0)!

      Delete

Post a Comment