Game Jam Day 2 Update!

 It's only Day 2 and I already feel the time crunch! 

My goal for Day 1 was to at least have a high-level idea of a realistically buildable game, given the time and my current skill level, and hopefully, it would be a game I would be looking forward to building. 

Yesterday that goal was knocked out of the park! ⚾ FOOL'S GOLD (haven't decided if the name will be all caps or not yet lol) is a game I'm extremely excited to build. I feel it's realistic, it's fun and a creative interpretation of the theme, and it's completely my own original game and idea. I'm thrilled! 

At the same time, I feel the pressure a bit more somehow; now I know I can do it, it's just a matter of execution. I'm going to do my best to accomplish my game jam goal of successfully completing the jam with a unique, completely "finished" (at least a fun, polished proof-of-concept haha), original game I created. 💚🎮

Taking the time to write down my ideas on a google doc has been great, but I'm surprised at how much Trello has really helped me organize my game ideas, scope, and build plan. It makes it much easier to narrow my scope to a "microscopic" level, as well as plan out features that fit better in future versions. This has really helped me fend off Scope Creep (hopefully enough!), which is a very common issue at game jams.  

I've been working through a 2D Unity course for the past (almost) 2 weeks, which has been invaluable in learning core Unity fundamentals and concepts that I'll be using to build Fool's Gold (FG). I'll continue to work through these lessons when I need a build break from FG, as I feel like I'm constantly learning new, crucial tools, techniques, tips, and tricks.

At this time, I believe I can (hopefully) make a rough demo/test/prototype of FG by EOD tomorrow (a very rough version I'm sure lol). This demo/test version by mid-jam would be great to have in hand for testing and building upon. I have a fairly clear mental picture for most of the core game, so I'm going to try to have this version created before Wednesday morning. 🤞 

Comments